Church of S. Niccolò al Carmine
The Church of San Niccolò al Carmine stands in Piano dei Mantellini. Although altered at the beginning of the 16th century by Baldassarre Peruzzi, the structure dates largely from the 14th century.
The simple facade of the building contains the main doorway and a rose window. To the left stands a square bell tower with four orders. The single-nave interior has remained intact from the 14th century and is lit by large single windows.
San Niccolò al Carmine contains a number of interesting art works. The right hand wall is decorated with the fresco by Arcangelo Salimbeni The Adoration of the Shepherds. Adjacent to the first altar is a fragment of a fresco by Gualtiero di Giovanni of The Assumption of Mary, whereas the second altar is adorned with the magnificent painting of St Michael by Domenico Beccafumi (1486-1555).
The Chapel of the Sacrament, near the high altar, contains a fine Nativity of Mary by Sodoma. Next to the altar is a 16th century ciborium. Through the Sacristy is a room designed by Francesco di Giorgio where, in 1604, Alessandro Casolani completed his depiction of The Martyrdom of St Bartholomew.